Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Apple of My Eye

Jackson,

This serves as my last post before Conner will make his way into this world and our family - forever changing the dynamics of our family, and upgrading your status from 'only child' to 'big brother'. With that, comes a whole wave of emotions for me. I'm so excited to see you grow in your role as a big brother - because of your sweet and cautious personality, I already know you'll be nurturing, caring, and protective. I know that in the blink of an eye, you'll be teaching him new things, he'll be driving you crazy, and inevitably, there will be fighting. Probably a lot of it.

Besides being over the moon excited to see you love on your new baby brother, there is also a piece of me mourning the only child you won't be anymore. It won't be just the two of us any more. In the last 3.5 years, you have changed who I am. You taught me a love I never before could comprehend, and over these short years you've become my right hand man. I cherish our one-on-one time, quietly playing on the floor, reading books, or enjoying lunch without interruption.

I know that my heart will be more full that I could have ever imagined as we enter this next chapter - but I also know that this means that a tiny human will be needing me nearly constantly, and you'll learn quickly that we must make space for his needs.

I hope you'll become the person Conner most admires and adores. I hope you'll always be patient and kind with him. I hope that together you'll take on this life, partners in crime and buddies for life.

As we navigate these changes, I hope you know that you'll always be the apple of my eye. The one who changed me at my core.

(I must point out - you're apple-picking style is on-point.)








No comments:

Post a Comment