Thursday, May 29, 2014

Memorial Day

We had an incredibly low-key Memorial Day this year, spending the day mowing, lounging, and eventually BBQing as the sun set.

As we settled down to eat, I realized I felt sad. I miss our close and amazing friends we've made through the years, the ones we've always had to pick up and leave. I desperately missed our family, and it hit me hard that I would give just about anything for simple family BBQs and picnics. For low-pressure lazy summer days with the ones we love most.

As the unofficial start to summer, and a day on which most people get together with their friends and family to enjoy nice weather, each other's company, and BBQ in honor of those who sacrificed everything so we could do so, I felt the emptiness of those people missing from our BBQ.

We've already met amazing people here in NY who we will undoubtedly become close with, but part of moving is starting from square one and building those relationships which will blossom over time. It's a tough process, but it's one that's always worthwhile.

This year, as our families attended weddings and big BBQs half way across the country, Tyler and I enjoyed the quiet of the beginning of a new chapter.






 

1 comment:

  1. first...cute shirt. second...maybe on day the chapter will bring you back to bbqs filled with familiar faces!

    ReplyDelete